Now showing 1 - 10 of 15
- PublicationRelative Sea-Level Changes on the Southwestern Arabian Gulf since the Last Glacial MaximumSeveral works have been carried out regarding Late Pleistocene–Holocene sea-level changes in the Arabian Gulf. Nevertheless, a global and regional approach is still lacking, and some critical issues remain unsolved. In this paper, a review and a reinterpretation of all published data regarding sea-level changes in the area have been completed and compared with new results obtained from fieldworks carried out in Failaka Island, Kuwait, and in Abu Dhabi Emirate, United Arab Emirates. This work relies mostly on studying geomorphological sea-level indicators, such as beach rocks and beach ridges besides combining archaeological data. Results show different trends in vertical movement within the studied area since the Last Glacial Maximum, which cannot be explained alone by the existing sea-level model, implying different, specific and local factors, such as tectonic deformations and diapirism.
- PublicationStratigraphy of « MOUN1 » Drill Core : Discussion of Results
- PublicationReview on Late Pleistocene-Holocene relative sea-level changes in Kuwait : New evidence from Failaka islandNew results from fieldwork carried out on Failaka island testify to relative sea-level fluctuations during Late Pleistocene and Holocene. This study is based on analysing, sampling and dating geomorphological sea-level indicators, including beach ridges or beachrocks. The results have been compared and harmonised with recalibrated data from pre-existing literature to reconstruct the relative sea-level local chronology. The vertical displacement identified may have induced coastline mobility and significant environmental changes and impacted the human occupation in Failaka and along the coastal areas of Kuwait. Eventually, the results highlight the impact of large-scale crustal deformations on regional relative sea-level variations.
Scopus© Citations 2 176 33
- PublicationThe contribution of simulated lithostratigraphy in the geoarchaeological research of the Athenian Basin during the Holocene
- PublicationHolocene relative sea-level variations and archeological implications, Abu Dhabi western region, United Arab EmiratesNew results from fieldwork in the western region of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi showed meaningful differences in relative sea-level variations during Holocene and recorded unknown late marine highstands. These dynamics may have induced important environmental changes and affected human settlement. Surveys have been carried out in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in order to construct local sea-level variations. These results rely on identifying, characterizing, and dating sea-level indicators and particularly beachrocks. Two main areas were studied: Ghagha island and Ras Khumays peninsula. Data obtained from our surveys highlight significant differences and suggest local processes that need to be understood. From an archeological perspective, this work helps to better understand human settlement dynamic through the Holocene.
Scopus© Citations 7 227 41
- PublicationGeomorphological changes in the coastal area of Farasan Al-Kabir Island (Saudi Arabia) since mid Holocene based on a multi-proxy approachThe geomorphological evolution of the southeastern coastal area of Farasan Al-Kabir Island (Saudi Arabia) is revealed by the mapping of modern landforms and a multi-proxy and high spatial resolution study including grain size, particulate organic carbon, mineralogy, element geochemistry, benthic foraminifera analysis and radiocarbon dating of a 3.3-m long sediment core. The modern geomorphological features comprise a variety of arid landforms, such as plateau, cliffs and pediments of Pleistocene coral limestones, playa depressions located on plateau surfaces, alluvial fans, butte and sandy beaches. The mid Holocene evolution of the borehole area is resulted from the detailed analysis of five sedimentary units detected along the core Matar-1, and includes three distinct stages: (a) from 5253 ± 223 y cal BP to 3138 ± 223 y cal BP, carbonate coarse-grained material consisting of coral fragments, molluscs, calcareous algae and benthic foraminifera are deposited on a shallow marine fringing reefal platform, which becomes progressively a nearshore backreef (around 3675 ± 215 y cal BP), and later (around 3138 ± 223 y cal BP) a reef ramp; (b) since 3040 ± 220 y cal BP the borehole area obtains the characteristics of a high-energy beach that receives increasing inputs of terrigenous material; (c) subsequently, a supratidal backshore setting is established influenced mostly by terrestrial processes and occasionally by marine processes, as it is indicated by the decreasing and sometimes sporadic presence of benthic foraminifera, and recently, a sedimentary veneer consisting of terrigenous, carbonate and evaporite material is formed by terrestrial, mainly wadi and aeolian, processes. © 2018 Elsevier Ltd and INQUA
Scopus© Citations 6 205
- PublicationPleistocene uplift evidences and geomorphological processes, along the Daghmar-Dibbab coastal area, (NE Oman)The study coastal area between Daghmar and Dibab (NE Oman) was uplifted up to 200 m due to different tectonic processes which can be detected on different elevations of the coastal teracces cascading. The teracces formed due to Neogene to Quaternary tectonic movements which continued into the Upper Pleistocene and may be active during the Holocene. The combination of methods such as geodatabase creation, multi-criteria analysis of the landforms through the processing of the study's area DEM, field work-samplings and laboratory analysis (XRF, thin sections, dating's, OSL-14C), combined with semi-automated geomorphological mapping and the differential GPS profiles and measurements, and SAR interferometry (InSAR), contributed in the data processing. The results of the multi proxy and interdisciplinary methodological approach are used as tools for understanding the geomorphological evolution of the Neogene to Quaternary landscape, where landforms are presented as indicators of the area's evolution and define the processes that formed the current situation of the relief. At least three tectonic terraces were detected. A karstified planation surface of Eocene rocks is well developed. This planation surface is attached to the marineterraces and marks an elevation of 160-135m. The mapped terraces (depending on the locations) are at altitudes of about 120-90m. (T3), 75-45 m. (T2) and 35-20 m. (T1) with their foreheads (cliffs) vary in elevations from 15 to 30m. The preliminary results of this study area indicate an along strike the terraces, divided into different at least two tectonic blocks, with estimated uplift rate from 2.3mm/year (northern part) to 2.9 mm/year (southern part) respectively. The blocks are separated by perpendicular to the terraces striking faults. However, the kinematic of faults ,i.e. normal, reverse or strike-slip, could not be estimates Uplift and the sedimentary cover of the terraces (e.g. conglomerates, screes) confirm a swift transformation of the coastline area form at least the MIS 3 (24-59 ka) until the mid-late Holocene, accepting the global sea level chnanges.
- PublicationHolocene lithostratigraphy and its implementation in the geoarchaeological research of the Athenian Basin, GreeceThe Athenian Basin is a very interesting area from an archaeological point of view, since it is inhabited from Neolithic time. The human impact on the landscape is shown by the ancient constructions such as the Long Walls and the canalization of the rivers in the area of the Athenian Basin and Piraeus. The aim of the study is to detect the paleogeographical evolution of this area. In order to manipulate all the available information obtained from literature review (topographic maps, geological maps, ancient maps and references) and the stratigraphic data from 227 boreholes from the Athenian Basin, a GIS database was established. After the interpretation of the stratigraphy from the boreholes, six lithostratigraphic units were defined. Maps and 3D models were designed to represent the succession of the lithostratigraphy of each period. Paleogeographic maps were created in order to represent the landscape for each lithostratigraphic unit of the Athenian basin, and extract results for the temporal and spatial changes of the paleo-landscape and the involvement of the human impact on the depositional process in the Athenian Basin during Holocene. © 2014, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
Scopus© Citations 1 156
- PublicationMultiproxy paleoenvironmental reconstruction: the Piraeus Coastal Plain case studyThe joint application of benthic foraminifera, pollen and NPPs and magnetic sus-ceptibility analyses in Piraeus coastal plain deposits resulted in the detailed study of palaeoenvironmental evolution of the area during almost the last 9000 years and the distinction of five lithostratigraphical-paleoenvironmental units and subunits. Com-bined results of our analyses features the occurrence of an inner lagoon (unit Aa) followed by an open lagoon (Unit Ab) depositional environment that was trans-formed to a shallow marine paleoenvironment with lagoonal features (Unit B) after 7800 BP. Since about 4800 BP a closed oligohaline lagoon (Unit C) used for graz-ing, occurred in the area, while after 2800 BP a marshy oligohaline depositional environment (Unit D) and signs of intensive agricultural activities are evidenced. The very good correlation of benthic foraminiferal, palynological and magnetic sus-ceptibility data and resulted indices is indicative of the potential of the applied methodologies as a paleoenvironmental tool box. Περίληψη Η μελέτη της λεπτομερούς παλαιοπεριβαλλοντικής εξέλιξης για τα τελευταία περίπου 9000 χρόνια βασίστηκε σε ανάλυση των βενθονικών τρηματοφόρων, των γυρεόκοκκων και «άλλων» παλυνόμορφων και της μαγνητικής επιδεκτικότητας των αποθέσεων της παράκτιας πεδιάδας του Πειραιά. Διακρίθηκαν πέντε λιθοστρωματογραφικές-παλαιοπεριβαλλοντικές ενότητες και υποενότητες, στις οποίες καταγράφετε η εξέλιξη της περιοχής από μία αρχικά κλειστή ολιγόαλη λιμνοθάλασσα (Unit Aa) αρχικά σε μια ανοικτή (Unit Ab) και στη συνέχεια, περίπου 7800 έτη πριν από σήμερα σε ένα ρηχό θαλάσσιο περιβάλλον (Unit B). Περίπου πριν από 4800 έτη πριν από σήμερα στην περιοχή υπήρχε μία ολιγόαλη λιμνοθάλασσα (Unit C), την οποία οι κάτοικοι της περιοχής χρησιμοποιούσαν ως βοσκότοπο, ενώ μετά το 2800 έτη πριν από σήμερα τα στοιχεία μας δηλώνουν την ύπαρξη ενός ολιγόαλου έλους (Unit D), αλλά και σημαντικές αγροτικές δραστηριότητες στην περιοχή. Η εξαιρετική συσχέτιση των αποτελεσμάτων των επιμέρους μεθόδων ανασύστασης του παλαιοπεριβάλλοντος που χρησιμοποιήθηκαν είναι ενδεικτική των δυνατοτήτων εφαρμογής τους ως μια συντονισμένη παλαιοπεριβαλλοντική εργαλειοθήκη. Λέξεις κλειδιά: βενθονικά τρηματοφόρα, γυρεόκοκκοι, άλλα παλυνόμορφα μαγνητική επιδεκτικότητα, Ολόκαινο.